Saturday, April 17, 2010

Bilstein Debacle..

Purchased the shocks from AllWheelsDriven since they are the local Bilstein dealer. They specialize in rally stuff and that seems to have created some issues. Below you can see the AWD strut tube with my laser cut brackets tacked on and Vorshlag camber plates/upper perches. Looks nice but it's about 2" too long and the insert spec'd by AWD is wrong for my application as well. It's an AK-1020 insert which has 7" of travel but the shock housing is just too long so it eats up all the bump travel just getting to ride height..

I'd like to lower the car 1" from stock but that puts it at ~.875" of bump travel and ~5.500" of droop travel. Not so good... Even at stock height it has 50% of OEM bump travel. These would be perfect for a rally car that was lifted 2"..



Close up of tacks.. The ears are mounted as high as possible to maximize bump travel.



Rear upper mount I designed. I spec'd the rear shocks which actually work very well for this application. The OEM setup is eye to pin whereas this is an eye to eye shock. That's why I made the new upper mount. I end up with more travel than stock and only lose .500" of bump once it's lowered.







The shock is also inverted to reduce unsprung weight



No comments:

Post a Comment